The Black Leather Pride Flag (pictured above) can be purchased here.
It the first day of Black History Month 2024 and we want to take this opportunity to highlight, promote, and uplift Black voices, businesses, performers, educators, and influencers we owe so much. In addition to learning, re-learning, and uplifting the contributions that Black Americans have made in this country, let’s also support their work and influence.
This list will be a living blogpost that we will continuously add to throughout 2024 because we know that this is a practice that requires attention throughout the year, not just in February. We encourage ourselves and white community members to ask ourselves what we are doing to continually uplift and promote Black voices and business in our communities. Share these links and/or throw some money and support to some of these businesses or individuals today!
People of Color Kink & Leather
People of Color Kink & Leather Experience (POCKLE) serves as an online digital archive & resource center for BIPOC Kink & Leatherfolk to bring visibility & awareness & funding to activities in communities that are created by, center, or serve BIPOC. They have a great Black History Month list of influential Black leaders and leatherfolk.
Sex Educators and Kink Community Leaders
Celebrating the folks who are currently making Black history in the kink and sex education communities:
- Mx. Pucks a’Plenty: Pucks (they/them) is an incredible burlesque performer, producer, community leader, activist, and educator who has taught at Sub Rosa before and performer at 50 Shades of STFU and Kinkfest. They run What the Funk?! An All BIPOC Burlesque Fest in Seattle and and co-host of the podcast, SexualiTEA SEA.
- Marla Renee Stewart, MA: Marla (she/her) is an award-winning certified sexologist, sexual strategist, intimacy/relationship/sex coach, educator, speaker, and author. She is the owner of Velvet Lips, a sexuality education company that focuses on people to help them integrate seduction, develop their communication abilities, and enhancing their sex skills. She is the Co-Founder of the Sex Down South Conference. She also hosts the ongoing series Race & Kink with Luna Matatas. We highly recommend attending these if you wants to be more conscious of how racism shows up in BDSM spaces. You can buy her pre-recorded Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Kink class here.
- Luna Matatas: Luna (she/her) is a Sex and Pleasure Educator with over 15 years of experience in sexual health and wellness internationally and locally. Her playful approach to sexuality draws on the creativity, confidence and communication skills we all need to fulfill our pleasure potentials. Luna’s classes are trauma and equity informed and include pleasure topics like anal play to feminine dominance to how to have a threesome. Luna is the creator of Peg the Patriarchy, Meditate Medicate Masturbate and Fuck Like a Goddess brands.
- Evita “Lavitaloca” Sawyers: Lavitaloca (she/her) is an ethical non-monogamy coach, speaker, and educator. She is the creator of “Today’s Polyamory Reminder” and is also the subject of the groundbreaking polyamorous documentary “Poly-Love”.
- Jet Setting Jasmine and King Noire: Jet Setting Jasmine is a licensed clinical therapist with a strong emphasis on Intimacy Post Injury and Intimacy Post Illness. She is co-owner, with partner King Noire, of Award Winning, Royal Fetish Films and has over 20 years of experience as an adult entertainer, educator and Master Fetish Trainer. King Noire is an accomplished writer, artist, MC and global activist using the proceeds of his album ‘Music Is My Weapon’ to build a school, fresh water well and medical clinic in Guinea Bissau, West Africa.
- Mx. Dahlia Belle: comedians can be activists and educators and Mx. Dahlia Belle is both. Check out her comedy and commentary on her youtube channel. She’s been declared one of “11 Trans Comedians… Funnier Than Dave Chappelle” by Out Magazine and the funniest of Willamette Week’s Funniest Five. In addition to having written for Cosmopolitan Magazine, The Guardian, The Stranger, and Portland Mercury, she has been a repeat guest on NPR, CBC, XRAY FM, and Portland Radio Project (PRP). Live performances have included NW Black Comedy Festival, Upper Left Comedy Festival, Mutiny Radio, and an awkward conversation with John Waters and Piers Morgan. Book her, pay her, giggle with her, she’s the best.
- Black-Owned Sex Toy & Sexual Health Brands: Spectrum Boutique has a great list of these here. Some additional on this list here.
- Luna Matatas also sells sex toys, tees, stickers, and gifts on her online shop.
- We’ve just discovered Allure Bound Latex, a size inclusive custom latex brand created by Antrice Sykes.
- We love Emperor Georgiou’s Tea Room – they are a Star Trek themed tea house in Portland that is “proudly queer, Black, and neurodivergent-owned”. It is so much fun, highly recommend supporting them.
- We love Birds and Bees Nursery, a small, women and Black owned Plant Shop and Nursery, dedicated to selling locally sourced, sustainable products, for indoor and outdoor urban gardens.
- Empress Rules Equity Consulting: a MBE/WBE/ESB certified firm in Portland that works with organizations to create inclusive environments.
- Dirty Angel Entertainment: Black & Woman Owned/Operated, Promoter, Producer, DJ, Party Planner, Creator of the NW Black Comedy Festival.
- Directory of Portland Black-Owned Eateries: this site has an interactive list!
- Mercatus Portland Business Directory: The Mercatus Directory features business owners of color from the Portland Metro area. If you love these businesses, leave them reviews! Consider using the services of these businesses or hiring from this list when seeking new services for your business or home.
Local Events and Content Creators
Send them $$$ appreciation, buy tickets to these shows, follow them on social media, buy their online content. This list will continue to grow as we compile these events and iconic creators!
- Local Black-led events: Boyeurism with Izohnny. Melange PDX (a monthly Queer & POC Variety Show). NW Black Comedy Festival.
- Online FemDom/Kink Content Creators: Mistress Mia Darque, @bigbigcherry, @ravynalexaxxx, Jet Setting Jasmine, Mistress Stephanie, Queen Melanin, @PupLocrian (kink educator, check out their TikTok channel), @TacticuteDilf (enby adult performer). More listed on this thread here.
- Collective Corruption: purveyors of delightful deviancy in the form of boutique pornography focusing on “heavy” kinks that are often censored elsewhere. They’re collectively owned, and half the owners are Black creators.
If you have suggestions of others we can add to this list please email us at email@example.com. As always, for our events we offer discounts for BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) to any of our classes (60% off), and Viola offers free entry to her FemDom Party 50 Shades of STFU for BIPOC folks.
We also want to take this moment to honor our friend who passed some years back, just as we launched Sub Rosa. Madame Hecuba was an incredible domme, artist, and friend. We miss her energy and the infectious love that she spread. Some of her art is featured at Sub Rosa, those three hand sculpted teal eyes in the bathroom. She had intended to begin working with us on the project that is Sub Rosa, but she never got the chance and we wish it was not the case. We love you Madame Hecuba: Queen of IIIIIIIII.